Today is quite special as I am finally getting around to answering not one, but TWO, Liebster award nominations!! Many many thanks to Shantelle Hannu and Candice Coates! I’ve never been nominated for one of these blogging award thingees and then to get two nominations within a few weeks of each other was quite special! So, here we go. I’ll answer both sets of questions in this post and come up with ten new questions for the people I tag.
Rules: (I’ve mixed and matched from the two nominations. They varied a little, so I’m making my own.)
- Once you are nominated, make a post thanking and linking the person who nominated you.
Nominate other bloggers (however many or few as you’d like).
- You can also nominate the person who nominated you.
- Answer the ten questions asked to you by the person who nominated you
- Make ten questions of your own for your nominees.
- ALL THE NOMINEES ARE FREE TO ACCEPT OR REJECT THE NOMINATION
1) What is the driving passion of your life?
The driving passion in my life is to be able to help people recover from their injuries and be able to live as full a life as they can. I’m currently studying to become a Physical Therapist and I can’t wait for the day I’m can begin practicing and reach that goal!
2) Can you name a favorite character from a movie you’ve seen recently?
One of the last movies I watched was the last part of The Hollow Crown series, Henry V. They were fantastic and I highly recommend them. Favorite character? Henry V. Tom Hiddleston portrayed him so powerfully.
3) What’s one book (or chapter, verse, whatever…) of the Bible that has particularly touched you and why?
I keep Psalm 26: 1-3 in a frame on my shelf. I heard it in Mass one Sunday and it really struck me and it’s been one of my favorites since then. I particularly like the lines “The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?” and “If armies in camp should stand against me, my heart shall not fear.”
4) How tall are you?
I’m pushing 5’11’. Although I’m not likely to grow any more. Except sideways. 😛
5) What’s one thing a book needs to have in order to make it a favorite for you?
I like books that have female characters that are strong but not afraid to be feminine. And I think we all like the hero with a bit of a past but who’s not completely tied down to it. I don’t mind the sad bits either. I think it makes it more real and a more powerful story.
6) How did you start and what’s your favorite thing about blogging?
I started blogging right around the time my first book came out. My first blogaversary was back in March so that was exciting. My favorite thing about blogging? I just think it’s amazing how many people I’ve been able to connect with especially in the last six months. I’ve met people from all over the world and have found a lovely community of writers (#BlogBattles, anyone? 🙂 )
7) What’s something exciting that has happened in your life recently?
Something exciting? I submitted a short story to a contest and it was selected as a semi-finalist!! I found out about two weeks ago and submitted my revisions last week for the next round of judging! Excuse me while I go do my happy dance again.
8) Why do you write (blogs, books, whatever)?
I write because I have too many voices in my head. And for a time I think I was spending more time in fictional worlds than in the real one, so I started writing to fix that. Those worlds are still there, but they’ve quieted as I’ve finished their stories. But more are clamoring. I’ve just gotten better at organizing the mess in my head. I blog to complain about things and recently to start sharing more of my writing. 🙂
9) Can you describe (or find a picture of) a different-era outfit that you’d love to wear?
I’ve always loved Eowyn’s dresses, so that medievaly type dress. Although I’ve always wanted to give the Southern Belle look a try for a day.
10) Favorite songs?
Blackheart and Heart of Courage by Two Steps from Hell, Don’t Blink by Kenny Chesney, American Soldier by Toby Keith. I recently fell in love with Green Fields of France by Dropkick Murphys. I’m sure there are more, but I know those are high on the list.
11) Any advice for your fellow Christian bloggers/writers?
I’d say to keep writing and stay true to what you believe in. If you think you have a message to write, chances are it’s been given to you for a reason, so get out there and write it.
Thanks, Shantelle!! If you haven’t perused her blog before, go check it out! She’s a lovely young woman and recently released her first book! (It’s really good!) 🙂
1. What do you find most fulfilling about blogging and writing?
I love hearing from people who have enjoyed a blog post or have really connected with my book. I think it’s amazing that I was able to touch their lives for however long it took them to read my words.
2. What genre do you tend to read most and why.
I tend to read mostly fantasy with a little historical fiction on the side. With fantasy I like exploring different worlds, meeting new heroes and cheering the defeat of a villain. With historical fiction I love seeing history come to life and be transported back in time and (hopefully) learn something about the time period I’m reading.
3. As a writer, what genre are you most afraid to attempt writing or just the least interested in and why?
Straight up romance. I’ve never had a boyfriend (or been interested in having one really) so I don’t think I’m qualified to write romance. Also, I’m pretty sure boys still have cooties, so there’s that.
And horror. Just no. Big no.
4. What inspired you to become a blogger?
My first book had just been published and I was looking for ways to start promoting it. A big part of selling books is selling yourself, so I thought a blog might be a good way for readers to start seeing the slightly-crazy me. And a friend of mine had just started a blog and his efforts encouraged me to start up my own.
5. Do you have a hidden talent? What is it?
A hidden talent? Probably being able to eat inordinate amounts of pizza in one sitting. Same with cookies. I also eat really fast. I don’t know if that’s a talent or a product of growing up with seven siblings. If you wanted seconds at dinner, you ate fast.
6. Do you have a routine you follow for writing? If so, what is it?
My routine usually consists of staring into space for x amount of time, then deciding that passage is good enough to go onto paper. I grab my pen or keyboard, plug in my epic soundtrack music, and start writing. If I start to falter, I start at the beginning of this process and repeat indefinitely, occasionally chuckling at what I conceive as brilliance.
7. If you could hold any profession, past, present, future or fictional, what would it be, and why?
Tough one. I’d give the Pony Express a try, perhaps even the military if I was tough enough. Space scares me a little, but maybe I’d try my hand at working a space ship.
8. Do you have a favorite author/artist? Who are they and what is it about them that draws you to them?
I’ve really fallen in love recently with K.M. Shea and her fairy tale re-tellings. She writes solid stories with plenty of humor and action mixed in with terribly adorable and believable romances.
9. When did you finally decide to give your writing/art the time and attention you have decided to give it now?
Ha! Well I wish I had more time to dedicate to writing, but grad school is taking up most of said time. But I started writing about 5 years ago when I picked up a pen and a notebook and decided to give story telling a shot. Hopefully in about a year or two I’ll have a little extra time to dedicate to writing.
10. If you could live/vacation in any book or piece of art, which would it be?
I’m always torn with this question between Rohan in Middle Earth, or Narnia. Currently I’m more in the Narnia mood so I’d pop through a wardrobe and see the lamppost and Cair Paravel by the sea, maybe have tea with a faun or talk with Aslan. Of course, I wouldn’t mind seeing my own country of Aredor, but I think I might have to go on the run from a few characters. What’s an author to do? 😛
Thank you, Candice! Check out her blog if you haven’t already. She’s a fellow #BlogBattler and always has some great thoughts to share!
Now for my
1. What poked you in the direction of writing/blogging?
2. What is your favorite song to sing in the shower?
3. What drives you to write?
4. If you could meet one fictional character, who would it be?
5. You get the chance to travel any place, in any time. Where do you go?
6. Do you have a certain memory associated with a food dish?
7. What is one book you are really looking forward to reading?
8. What is your next big adventure?
9. Another food question. You have to choose one thing to eat for the rest of your life. What do you choose?
10. What is your favorite passage/verse from a work of literature?
I hope you accept the award! Just link back to this post so that I can read your replies!
Happy Sunday, all!