Howdy! Today I’m helping Ms. Faith Blum on her blog tour for her novellas. There are three novellas centered around minor characters from her Hymns of the West series. I haven’t read any of the full length novels yet, but after getting to review one of the novellas, I’m going to have to check out the series sometime soon.
Make sure you read all the way to the end as there is a giveaway with two different prizes and the opportunity to pick up some books on discount!
Timothy is at his wit’s end. His twelve year old half-sister has run off five housekeepers in almost a year. Since their parents died, she has grown wilder than ever. What can he do? As he looks for a new housekeeper, his eye catches sight of a mail order bride advertisement. One young lady has a younger sister and sounds like a God-fearing woman. Could this be the answer to his dilemma or will Louise run her off, too?
Pass Me Not is a charming tale about a young man who doesn’t know what to do about his headstrong, tomboyish sister. In desperation, he sends a letter in response to an mail order bride advertisement. Abigail accepts his offer, grateful for a chance for a new life for herself and her younger sister.
My thoughts- I really liked the characters. You settle right in with them, their lives, their fears and hopes despite it being such a short story. I think I liked Timothy’s sister Louise the best. She certainly keeps her brother frustrated but she’s so sassy while doing it, I was constantly laughing at her and sympathizing with Timothy.
I’ve always found the concept of being a mail order bride to be staggering. Just thinking about the young women who were willing to pack up everything and move so far from everything they know and hope that everything works out, makes me wonder if I could have been as strong as they were. I think that Faith really captures the mentality of the time and I really admired Abigail for setting out with a younger sister and the disadvantage of a limp. Of course after reading their correspondence, I was about ready to find Timothy myself. 😉
Recommended for anyone who likes Westerns and looking for a quick read. Or anyone who like stories of family, faith, and adventure. From what I understand, these characters also appear in the full length novels, so I’d definitely check out the novels and the other novellas!
About the Author
Faith Blum is a 24 year old home school graduate who enjoys doing many right-brained activities such as reading, crafting, writing, and playing piano. Her favorite genre to read and write is Historical Fiction, more specifically, Westerns. In the Hymns of the West series, she has endeavored to create clean, fun, and challenging Western stories for the whole family. She currently has three novels and one novella published or available for preorder.
The first prize winner will receive:
~A paperback of the novel that started the novellas, Amazing Grace (or novel of choice)
~One handpainted bookmark (painted by the author’s sister)
~A silver pen nib bookmark
The second prize winner will receive:
~An ebook copy of Amazing Grace (or ebook of choice by Faith Blum)
~Two handpainted bookmarks (painted by the author’s sister)
From August 24-28 only, I Love Thee will be free!
Also on sale during the blog tour are A Mighty Fortress which will be$0.99 from August 23-30 and Be Thou My Vision which will be $0.99 from August 30-September 6.
Blog Tour Schedule:
Monday, August 24
- Tour Intro at Writings, Ramblings, and Reflections
- Spotlights and Guest Post at Rebekah Lyn Books – Writing novellas
- Review of Pass Me Not at The Overactive Imagination
- Spotlights at Rise, Write, Shine!
Tuesday, August 25
- Spotlights at River of Stones
- Review of Redeemed of Wildflower Acres
- Author Interview at Jaye L. Knight
- Review of Pass Me Not at Hello Precious Bliss
Wednesday, August 26-RELEASE DAY!
- Review of Pass Me Not and Author Interview at Laura Whiskens
- Spotlight and Character Interview (Rhoda) at Shannon Pemrick
- Spotlights at God’s Peculiar Treasure Rae
- Release Day announcement with excerpt from Amazing Grace at Writings, Ramblings, and Reflections
Thursday, August 27
- Review of Pass Me Not at Melanie Snitker, author
- Author Interview at Marianne Sciucco
- Review of Redeemed at With a Joyful Noise
- Review of I Love Thee at Hello Precious Bliss
Friday, August 28
- Review of I Love Thee at Laura Whiskens
- Review of Pass Me Not at Wildflower Acres
- Spotlights at Tialla’s Tellings
Saturday, August 29
- Review of I Love Thee and character interview (Abigail) at Flights from the Aerie
- Spotlights and Guest Post at Franky Brown
- Review of Redeemed at Hello Precious Bliss
- Sneak Peeks at Writings, Ramblings, and Reflections
Sunday, August 30
- Review of Redeemed at Laura Whiskens
- Review of Pass Me Not and Author Interview at Flights from the Aerie
- Spotlights at Samantha Fury Novels
Monday, August 31
- Blog Tour Wrap-up and Giveaway winners at Writings, Ramblings, and Reflections